Frequently Asked Questions

Below are some Frequently Asked Questions related to the BSEE and the BSEET Programs:

• The Accreditation Board for Engineering and Technology (ABET), the accrediting body for engineering and engineering technology programs nationwide provide summaries on their website: “Engineers vs. Engineer Technologists.”

What salary differences exist between engineers and engineer technologists?
• Actual salaries can vary depending on where you work and what position you hold.  While Electrical Engineering grads may have somewhat higher incomes, on average, than Engineering Technology grads, this difference can often be met through added experience, certifications or on-the-job training.

What is accreditation and why does it matter?
• Accreditation helps ensure that educational programs are of high quality, and gives employers the assurance that graduates are well-prepared for work in their field.
• Obtaining a professional engineer (PE) license almost always requires the completion of a 4-year degree from a school that is accredited by ABET, which is recognized by the Council for Higher Education Accreditation (CHEA) as the accrediting agency for postsecondary programs in applied science, computing, engineering, and technology.  Read more about the importance of accreditation here

What is a professional engineer (PE) license, and is it important?
• A PE license involves an extended period of evaluation and training to ensure and test competency in the field of engineering.  While licensure may make you more marketable for engineering-specific positions, it is legally required to prepare and sign engineering plans, as well as oversee and supervise engineering projects.
• For a brief overview, see the website for the National Society of Professional Engineers (NSPE): “What is a PE?”

Can I obtain a professional engineer (PE) license with an engineering technology degree?
• It depends on the state you work in and their individual rules/regulations. Students should check with their state’s Board of Professional Engineers for the most current information. In many states, graduates from either a BSEE or BSEET program that is ABET accredited may sit for the Fundamentals of Engineering (FE) exam, the first step to a PE.  Other states require graduation specifically from an ABET/EAC program to take the FE, thereby limiting PE licensure to BSEE graduates. You can learn more about the FE exam and PE licensing, including state-specific regulations for each, by visiting the National Council of Examiners for Engineering and Surveying
Interested in a job in the electric industry? Check out the EPCE job board.

Resources and Professional Groups:
Accrediting Board for Engineering and Technology (ABET)
National Council of Examiners for Engineering and Surveying (NCEES)
National Society of Professional Engineers (NSPE)
American Society of Certified Engineering Technicians (ASCET)